GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:38 pm 

Hello,

Currently, whenever a "type" (Such as vector3, player, etc) is declared to the GM VM, I take the type integer that's returned, and feed into a hashmap that returns my type information in the engine. This is also then "executed" in the VM as "global typename = typeid;".

I then create a function called "new", which takes this typeid. When it is called, it creates and returns an object, based upon the lookup of that typeid.

I was wondering if anyone has actually created new and delete operators, so instead of this:

pl = new(Player);

I could do

pl = new Player;

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 pm 

I havn't tried, but it would be possible with a bit of work.

Why not just do

pl = Player();

or even:

pl = Player.New();

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:19 pm 

I'd like to second what 39ster has said. There's no need to manage what type of object to create, because the VM does this for you! Just can just do the following in script code;

Code:
pl = Player();

I'd also strong advise against sepcifically deleting objects in script code. Doing this could cause issues with variables that reference the user objects in other parts of the script. Instead, just ensure that your variable is no longer referencing the object with :-

Code:
pl = null;

My own code base lets the VM manage the allocation and deletion of objects, which I have to add, makes coding in script very easy and trouble free. I tend to find that it's when I try to replicate any of the existing functionality in the VM that I run into headaches!

As an example, this is some script code from my engine that rotates a vector using user types;

Code:
focusPoint = Vec3("0 0 "0);
eyeVec = Vec3("0 2 -6");

rot = Mat3();
eyeVecRot = rot.setRotation(sVec3("0, 1, 0"), angle);

See? There's no need for anything like new, as the VM knows what type I want to allocate. And although I don't delete the objects after I use them, they do get cleared up eventually by the GC so memory is managed pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 am 

Just a quick comment on this...

Although the described work around is reasonable eg. pl = Player(); It still requires binding of a same named function to return the new instance. Since types could be created dynamically from script or native code, there is justification to implement something like operator new in future, as a standard way to create a new instance. (It happens to be in our design notes for a possible future version of GM.)