GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm 

Hey Guys,

im currently playing around with GameMonkey. Pretty nice thing! But i wondered why the compiled "Minimal"-Project from the "Examples"-Folder is 450KB big. This is much to big for my lateron project. If i start the compiled Minimal-Program, it uses more than 1MB RAM... On my later project i dont have that much RAM.

On your webpage you guys said:
Quote:
What are the key features of GM?
Small code base. Compiled code may use about 50kb of RAM.

How did you got only 50KB RAM Usage?
I used Visual Studio 2017 Community with the v140 Toolset. Target Platform was "Windows 8.1".
Lateron i want to run this on a microprocessor. (This is why the maximum RAM and the filesize is important)

Have a nice one,
Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm 

Welcome Marc,

Quite a reasonable question. I think the 50KB claim is misleading and should be changed.
Looking at the FAQ, I see some more clarification...
Quote:
Compiled code may use as little as 50kb* of RAM. (*Memory
usage is reduced by using shared libraries, shared application code, tweaking
compiler options, or removing the runtime compiler).

I do recall a real world test back near v1.0, with a bunch of visual studio compiler tweaks getting an instance of GM to run a precompiled 'hello world' in something like 55KB of RAM. I don't recall more details now.

However, again, I think the claim is misleading and fairly useless as developers would typically not configure for such a minimal build, nor would they run the VM with minimal ram. With incremental GC, it's efficient to run with at least 2x the highest amount of ram needed in order for the GC to not run continuously. It's also convenient to include the GM compiler for load or runtime compilation.

The original intention was for the VM to run on small memory and embedded devices. The original GM was very similar to Lua in performance and characteristics. It has changed quite a bit since then. I'll aim to update the docs sometime to reflect a more realistic expectation. The current value is more like a legacy synthetic benchmark... meaningless I think.