GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm 

Now, there was many jit compilers, libjit/asmjit/jitlib etc. What does gamemonkey do not implement a jit compiler?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 am 

coollofty wrote:
Now, there was many jit compilers, libjit/asmjit/jitlib etc. What does gamemonkey do not implement a jit compiler?

Short answer:
Nobody's added that support to it yet. Would you like to?

Longer answer:
GameMonkey was developed sometime around 2002-2003, inspired by Lua (v3 at the time I believe). It used the common tools and knowledge of its day, which was Flex and Bison, knowledge of C, Lua and possibly Java and Python.

Had it been developed today, the wealth of knowledge of native and managed languages, including the popular JavaScript would have caused the language design to be a little different. Today, new tools like the LLVM compiler framework are available which could aid development of a robust JIT compiler.

The original developers, Matt, myself and a few others enjoyed GameMonkey enough to champion its open sourcing. Unfortunately Matt and myself don't have the time to actively develop it further, something we'd both love to do, while a wonderful alternative does not exist.

The reality is that other languages have been developed and tweaked enough to reduce GameMonkey's relevance. C#'s dynamics, JavaScripts continued development and popularity and other domain specific languages (which I am largely ignorant of.)

The future of GameMonkey is largely in the communities hands. There is plenty of good will toward it, but little time from those with the experience to share improvements to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 am 

I've often thought of doing this, but never actively pursued it. I have a big list of experiments around GM that never went too far:

• .net port of the runtime and compiler
• JIT support in the native VM
• Support for closures
• Registers in the VM to move from stack machine
• Port of VM to LLVM

Ultimately I don't use GM much anymore, and that's because I hardly use C++ anymore. I did have a semi functional version running on .NET, but ultimately it stalled because I didn't finish the compiler.

It'd be nice to get round to some of these things...