GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 am 

A bit of a feature request.

I was thinking about being able to add script functions to a user type with a minimum of hassle. Now, I know I could have a script function (or table of functions) and then have some sort of native side or even a script side function to bind it. But I'm lazy, and that's a bit too involving for my liking not to mention more error prone,.

What I would REALLY like, is some sort of auto-magic binding in the language-spec and in the VM. Something like the following;

Code:

MyUserType:doSomething = function(someArg, anotherArg)
{
  blah
  blah
  blah
};

So I guess when the script is loaded and run, the VM would be able to bind the script function to the type. And I guess this is the same for any type of variable.

Again, I know I could do this by having a native side table and overloading the required operators, so that I can assign these vars by myself, but I'd like to avoid that.

Thoughts? Criticism? Maybe there's a language feature that I've missed that does it already?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:32 am 

And just for reference, this is how I currently do it in my code with a native function to perform the binding. It works perfectly, I'd just rather not have to performing the binding manually, as it could be a bit error prone.

Native code:
Code:
s32 cScriptSystem::_gmBindFuncToType(gmThread* a_thread)
{
   GM_CHECK_STRING_PARAM(pTypeName, 0);
   GM_CHECK_STRING_PARAM(pFuncName, 1);
   GM_CHECK_FUNCTION_PARAM(pFunc, 2);

ScriptTypeMap& typeMap = canvas::SCRIPTSYSTEM->mScriptTypeMap;

ScriptTypeMap::iterator findIt = typeMap.find(cCalcCrc32(pTypeName));
   if (findIt == typeMap.end())
   {
      return GM_EXCEPTION;
   }

cScriptType* pType = findIt->second;

a_thread->GetMachine()->RegisterTypeVariable(pType->getTypeId(), pFuncName, a_thread->Param(2));

return GM_OK;
}

Script test
Code:

global setToRed = function()
{
   canvas.gfx.setClearColour(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
};

global setToWhite = function()
{
   canvas.gfx.setClearColour(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
};

BIND_TYPE_FUNCTION("CanvasGfx", "setToRed", setToRed);
BIND_TYPE_FUNCTION("CanvasGfx", "setToWhite", setToWhite);

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the clarification, I see what you mean. Some kind of syntactical sugar would likely make that possible.
You could have implemented the registration entirely in script. eg.
Code:
register =
{
  CanvasGfx =
  {
    setToRed = function()
    {
       canvas.gfx.setClearColour(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
    },

setToWhite = function()
    {
       canvas.gfx.setClearColour(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
    },
  },
};

// Register all type functions as per their names
foreach( className and classTable in register )
{
  classId = typeId(className);
  print( "class", className, "id", classId );
  foreach( funcName and funcVar in classTable )
  {
    print( "name", funcName, "var", funcVar );
    typeRegisterVariable(classId, funcName, funcVar)
  }
}

Type functions are somewhat efficient, though most script I've seen tends to use tables like that to add member functions to user type instances. I do like the idea of creating and furnishing user types from script in a simple way. It has been on the list for future GM, which time and circumstances have repeatedly delayed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 pm 

Greg wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, I see what you mean. Some kind of syntactical sugar would likely make that possible.
You could have implemented the registration entirely in script. eg.

(removed code)

Yup, I considered something like that. The only problem as I see is (keep in mind that I'm lazy :) ) that I would either have to have all type functions in one table, and therefor in one place making the code a bit unmanageable.

I could have separate tables, and then do the registration with a call to a script function at the end of each script that defined type functions. Well...I'd probably do it with a native function as it's likely to get called quite a bit at startup.

Greg wrote:
Type functions are somewhat efficient, though most script I've seen tends to use tables like that to add member functions to user type instances. I do like the idea of creating and furnishing user types from script in a simple way. It has been on the list for future GM, which time and circumstances have repeatedly delayed.

I suspect everybody is using the same sample code when designing their script exposed game objects, which uses a native side table. Not that this is a bad thing, but you need to handle registration every time the object is created and as I'm lazy (have I mentioned that?) it's not something that I want to do.

No doubt any sort of syntax extension to support this won't appear for quite a while as you have better things to do with your time. I toyed with the idea of doing it myself and had a look at the Bison and Flex files . But it looked like more than just a simple chore (as I'd have to learn how the compiler worked) and I'd rather work on my own little game for now.

Thanks for the input though!