GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: July 04 Update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:40 am 

Game Monkey is now six months old as free software. We have a small and growing community. We have not made a great effort to promote GM beyond a few external forum posts, news of the day entries, and search engine setup.

We will re-promote GM when there is a new impressive version released, or after some time anyway. We have not forgotten about the code competition which is likely to occur with such a release.

The objective of the GM community release was to share what we believe was something good, and pretty-much hand it over to the community to use and build upon. It is not the intention of the original developers to retain or dominate future development, however, I will try and maintain this forum and produce so-called official release versions, and distribute community contributions. There will be a maintenance release soon.

Matty, the rather silent other half of the original development team, is actually working on Something Cool, but it is too early to announce any specific details yet.

The discussion so far in the forum, has mostly been general questions about GM, and talk of issues and bugs. I have made a couple of new topics to encourage more discussion.

Call to arms, I mean, action!
If you enjoy GameMonkey, tell us about it, tell other people in different forums or such about it. The best thing you can do is contribute to it by sharing your bindings. One of the few criticisms GM gets, usually in comments like "[Lua/Python/other] is better because it has [insert binding/tool here]". The argument is false because it is a bit like saying 'C is better than C++ because there are more API libraries available for it', but it is also true, because what makes a language immediately useful is the libraries that come with it, like the old stdio for C, or .NET Framework with the new MS Dev Studio. It is simply a matter of someone spending the time to make script bindings for something like wxWindows, or web page development, and other popular things, to make GM immediately useful to more people. Since GM is a slightly unusual language with many possibilities due to its dynamic nature, example code or documentation that demonstrates ways to use it would also be of great use.

I would like to say thank you to the folks who have contributed knowledge in the forum and reported bugs. I would also like to thank SomeDude for hosting the GM web site.