GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am 

Apologet and I are busy with a project called GameMonkey ScriptMod (or GMSM in short).

This project uses the old 'QMM: Q3 MultiMod' plugin manager to 'nest' a gamemonkey machine into the Q3 engine.
For now we are only using it on Wolfentstein: Enemy Territory based games, but in theory it can be used on all Q3 engine based games.

In our current version, we are 'forwarding' engine hooks to GameMonkey, for the people who know the Q3 engine,
here's an example of an empty GoNeScript.gm (the base script we call with GMSM);

Code:
global GAME_CLIENT_COMMAND= function(int_value, string_value, concat_value)
{
};

global GAME_CLIENT_CONNECT = function(clientNum, firstTime)
{
};

global GAME_CONSOLE_COMMAND = function(string_value, concat_value)
{
};

//GMSM checks the UNLINK_ENTITY for any events, KILL_EVENT is one of them.
global GAME_KILL_EVENT = function(attacker,target,mod,attackersHealth){
};

global GAME_CLIENT_USERINFO_CHANGED = function(clientNum){
};

//called on end of map/level or server quitting, before actual exit.
global GAME_SHUTDOWN = function(restart){
};

//called on game load/startup.
global GAME_INIT = function(levelTime, randomSeed, restart){
};

// called when a client's connection is established, map loaded, and ready to start playing (i.e. supply user inputs).
global GAME_CLIENT_BEGIN = function(clientNum){
};

global GAME_CLIENT_THINK = function(clientNum){ //the GMSM runs this function every frame, can be used for client timers in example
};

global GAME_CLIENT_DISCONNECT = function(clientNum){ //clientdisconnect, clear out the playerList table for example
};

global GAME_RUN_FRAME = function(levelTime){ //can handle general timers, maybe for advertising purposes
};
//for more information about the global GAME_ functions, here's a website about how the Q3 engine works,
//http://icculus.org/~phaethon/q3mc/outline1.html

Also, in some engine hooks, like GAME_CLIENT_COMMAND, the 'return' is forwarded aswell, so everytime you return 1 in GAME_CLIENT_COMMAND, the game mod won't get that input.

It's too bad we can't touch entities with GameMonkey, but we can do alot with what we now have.

For more info on GMSM, go to our great website, go to:
http://gaminggone.net/gmScriptMod/

With kind regards,

Dutchmeat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:01 pm 

I'm working on an Artificial Life Game World Simulation whose codename is WorldBase, which is my way of trying to create a game where what you do really matters, while keeping things interesting since it will be using Artificial Life for every single being, while recording things such as history, memories, and so on. Also, it's online, to allow the unending simulation of the world while new events happen all the time.

Soon i'll be publishing the architecture design document, so if you guys are interested, i can later post it on this thread too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm 

Hi and welcome littlecodingfox, yes - I'd be interested to see your architecture document! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:39 pm 

Well, i decided to post the design doc earlier, since i was already going to post it anyway and a few persons were already interested in checking it.

http://littlecodingfox.blogspot.com/200 ... esign.html

There's a link to a Google Docs document on that post.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 pm 

Sorry for double posting, but i thought you guys would be interested in updates regarding my game.

You can find updates regularly at http://littlecodingfox.blogspot.com , i've got scripting fully working so far, now waiting for content to be ready for the first prototype aka the Concept Prototype.

The latest post (21-05-2009) is quite interesting, so if you feel like it take a look if you dont mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:06 pm 

I'm using GameMonkey for my little home based projects, which all revolve around a bunch of libraries called "Muse". At the moment, I'm just using GM to make the engine side of things be data driven. So right now, I'm using GM to

• Create objects
  • Set properties of created objects
  • Load resources such as meshes and textures

The end result of my little demo has been this;

It doesn't look like much, but the rendering code, resource management code, engine code (including rtti and property systems) have all be written by me, from scratch over the last couple of months in my spare time. I'm now at the point where I'm ready to integrate physics middleware into the engine, so I can write some basic vehicle physics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:30 pm 

We're using GameMonkey for our game Archetype.

@LittleCodingFox hey! You're here too? Cool, small world!

~DtD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:25 am 

We're using GameMonkey for our game PixelJunk Shooter that was released this week.
Trailer: http://pixeljunk.jp/library/Shooter/#movie
Shots: http://pixeljunk.jp/library/Shooter/#screenshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:18 pm 

Shooter looks really cool. Out of curiousity, what kinda stuff did you script with GM ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 am 

Nice, the PixelJunk games are cool. What did you use GM for?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 am 

Most of the game logic is GM. Of course the engine and the sensitive stuff (fluid,particles,drawing system,etc.) are C++ but there's surprinsingly quite a lot of GameMonkey involved (to get a rough idea, we have about 3.5 MB of .gm files). We also use the GM format to store and parse our level data.
( high-resolution trailer @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3xEJlxsLg :) )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 am 

Very cool Bock! Out of interest, are you able to tell us any more about your usage of GM? For example, does the VM run on the PPU or have you been able to have it running on more or more SPU's?

This sort of thing would make a great series of Gamasutra articles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:50 am 

It's all running in a single thread on the PPU. Basically we want flexibility with GM code, it's usually unbounded code that access so many subsystems that it would not be a good candidate for SPU work. I guess that the point of using SPU is performance, and they are usually well bounded tasks so we use C++ for those. Ask "HiVision" if you are curious about details. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 am 

Hey!

So, after a few weeks of coding, I've built GameMonkey Script into a game prototype I'm working on. The goal of the prototype is to showcase a game idea of mine in a prettified way compared to an old prototype. And I realized early on that I needed a scripting language.

I'm using GameMonkey for all forms of game logic, configuration options and also to load data into the game. This is the level of functionality:
int MakeLight( Vector3 _Position, Vector3 _HSBColor, float _Range );
int MakeStatic( char* _FileName, Vector3 _Position, Vector3 _Rotation );
int MakePhys( char* _FileName, int _MaterialType, Vector3 _Position, Vector3 _Rotation );
int MakeDynamic( char* _FileName, int _MaterialType, float _Mass, Vector3 _Position, Vector3 _Rotation );

They return pointers from the engine that can be used for direct access in functionality like this:
void Destroy( int _Handle ); //removes the object from simulation
void Flicker( int _Handle, int _Interval ); //sets a created light to flicker
void Teleport( Vector3 _Position ); //moves the player to the supplied position in 3D space

Moreover, I've written a Blender plugin that generates these commands from objects in Blender. This means that I can first export an object asset from a library into .X format, then use instances of that object inside Blender and simply launch the export script to have Blender generate a correct .gm script file for all assets in the scene.

I can then use that script file any way I choose, of course, making Blender something of a very light GM-generating editor.

Anyway. I just have to say this: GameMonkey has worked out a lot better than I had ever anticipated. I used to be a Lua fan, but I'm definitely not regretting giving this a go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:44 pm 

Hello! =)

Last friday I was trying to find a scripting language, hoping to implement some mission support into Lone Star, my 2D space sim game (Think X2 with newtonian physics and a lot of modding available to the player).

I got to GM, finding it easy to bind C functions to it (Not so sure about C++ methods, I'd love to see a gmBind2 tutorial).

Now I've made an ingame console to write and run scripts (Can anyone tell me how can I execute a script containing a function and be able to call it from an ExecuteString()?) and I'll be learning how to script properly in this weeks.

Not a lot of time for hobbies, sadly =(

Also, if you'd like to play with Lone Star, visit http://www.box.net/shared/0hsk6mh48q and download the latest version for free :D
I offer documentation in english and spanish, and the game plays in Intel GPU netbooks, weighting less than 2 Mb.