GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:32 am 

Tell us what you are using GameMonkey for. Be as detailed as you like, or just give us a hint if your project is Top Secret.

Unfortunately my own use of GameMonkey has been quite limited, and I have only used it to write a few personal utilities and small examples for other people. It is good to know there are multiple commercial and non-commercial games being made with GameMonkey, which we will hopefully hear more about over the next year.

Edit: I've been using GM on an XBox 360 and PC game for the last year and it has worked out real well. Actually had a level designer, who's never programmed before, learn GM to code AI for some levels, and now wants to learn C++.

Last edited by Greg on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:07 am 

We're using GM in a fairly major commercial game, yet to be announced.

In truth we're not really using the language to it's full - the role it plays is that of a scripting language being used to perform 'level specific' initialisation work and high level game logic during play. As such, the language and the binding functions I've created for it act as a kind of 'glue' between our various game systems. The fact that our designers are able to write simple code to achieve this is proving exceptionally useful and is enabling them to do a great deal of setup that would otherwise be down to the programmers.

Using GM (in fact the principle of a runtime script language) has been a bit of an experiment for us. I chose GM because I liked the ethos behind it's development. So far, so good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:46 am 

We’re also using GM in a commercial game (kids action/adventure game) that runs on PS2, GameCube and XBox.

We use GM scripts to control the game logic of each level by associating a script with the level. We added a GameObject type to GM with a rich set of functions. Each game object in the world (eg player, vehicles, switches, triggers, etc ) can have its own script to control the logic or initialisation for that object and each script runs in its own thread on the same shared Virtual Machine. GM’s multithreading ability has been invaluable to our game, especially being able to pause threads and wait for events. Some game object scripts bind GM functions to their parent object which the FrameWork calls on certain events (eg player script has .OnHit() and .OnDie() that called when the player is hit or dies).

Our level designers who had never programmed before found it fairly easy to learn GM’s simple but powerful syntax and only needed moderate help from the programmers for the most complex of tasks.

Our world/level editor also uses GM with an integrated editor with syntax checker and debugger for GM scripts. We have bound a small but powerful set of functions to access and modify the properties of the objects in the scene so we can write scripts to process the scene. We have also bound all of the function keys to functions in a script file to make it easier to customise their behaviour. Eg Ctrl-F1/F2 hides/shows all objects of type trigger in the scene.

We also use GM scripts instead of batch files and have set up a build script on our build machine to automate our build process.

GM has been invaluable to us in every stage of developing our game and we are sure to keep using it in future projects. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:26 am 

I'm using GM for a freeware video game project.

My project is a customizable fighter, like M.U.G.E.N.. I'm designing the program to be completely customizable using scripts for basic options, fighter select, stage select, fighting rules, a customizable story mode, animation scripts, NPC personalities and attitudes towards other characters, cheats, and basic system commands.

The project is started, and GM is pretty easy to learn seeing as the santax is close to C++. Keep up the good work!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:15 pm 

Hey guys, I went looking for a free script lang. yesterday and came upon GM. I must say I'm pretty impressed with this. Within 30 min. I had compiled a .lib, set it up in my FPS and got a couple of script functions working!

Good stuff, keep up the good work, I'm definatly gonna tell friends about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:33 am 

Hello everyone, just would like to say I'm glad that I managed to stumble across GM a while back and it looks like exactly what I've been looking for. My project is a non-commercial MUD (A DnD-like online multi-user text game) that I've been coding on for about a year now. (The code started out as a SmaugWiz base but is rapidly becoming its own creature). I've wanted to implement external scripting for the MUD for some time now to add some dynamic features that would be hard to do otherwise. A global rp system that I can tailor to fit the moment, scriptable 'AI' NPC behaviors, global/single PC quests, and even the ability to script up code for new skill/spell functions instead of having to recompile the code every time I want to add a new spell function are just some of the things I plan on using GM for, although there are more things it will probably end up doing for me.

Thanks for the great code and I'll invite everyone to check out the MUD when we go public (You can telnet on to play, but most people who MUD use some form of beefed up 'mud client' for seeing ansi color and other features)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:59 am 

I'm currently playing around with it for use as the script core for a game bot/macro engine.

I'm drawn to it because I don't quite like Lua, and would rather have the more C like syntax that GM provides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:37 pm 

We use GM (we call the whole concept VSXL) in our module-based demo/visualization system "Vovoid VSX Ultra" just released.
GM provides parameter filtering and was the only embedded scripting language suited to this task as it's run all the time.
Partly becaues of it's instant compilation and incremental garbage collection but also because of its flexibility and licensing.
Before choosing we looked at all scripting languages we could find..

GM is used to mathematically change floats (for single parameters) and in the future to modify/generate most of our parameter types.
It's also used to combine parameters.

Here is a screenshot: http://vsxu.com/shots/game_monkey.jpg
All GUI is our work as everything is openGL, and we have built a text editor which is quite basic but gets the job done. Then the engine
generates a template like this so in this example the value is clamped. Easy stuff, but great to have. Will extend the VSXL api more
so you can do more fun things in the future.

Project homepage: http://vsxu.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:22 am 

I'm another one of the many that stumbled onto game monkey script and was impressed with it's ease of use and it's speed. I wish I could come up to speed on the scripting langauge yesterday, cause there is so much I want to do with it and am still spreading my wings. I am currently implementing it into our game engine and am only using it to define object types and add them into the object type manager on game init. I hope to implement the scripting language deeper so I can really do some fun stuff with it. Great job on Game Monkey Script!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:37 pm 

Hi, we are french studient develloping a free game engine called maratis and we use gameMonkey for game logic scripting. Keep on the good work with gameMonkey, I love it cuz' it's so easy to bind and I don't like Basic-like syntax. The only missing thing in my opinion is that script shouldn't get compiled if user uses an undefined fonction but maybe it comes from the way I use gameMonkey.

ie.

Code:
global main = function()
{
    a=10;
    doThings();
}

The script will be compiled even if no function "doThings" was made available by the programmer... such implicit declaration's okay for vars (ie a=10;) but for foncs I 'ld really prefer a compilation error...

Edit:
You can dowload it at : http://pschhh.club.fr/eye/zip/eye-editor.zip
List of script functions at : http://pschhh.club.fr/eye/txt/commandes_script.txt

Last edited by benualdo on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:57 am 

I'm using GameMonkey in a project called "Plexus". It's a third person shooter with an anime-like feel to it. GM is used to setup the AI and the missions. Each mission file uses an XML format to define certain aspects (such as start position, level mesh, atmosphere, etc) and then I can associate a GM script with the map that sets up trggers, sounds, enemies, and the like. It's actually quite flexible. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:33 pm 

I'm using GM for this 3d point'n'click adventure game I am prototyping. There isn't much to say about it at the moment, other than I'm really enjoying GM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 am 

I'm not even using it for games! I'm using it in a commercial (traditional) enterprise GUI/Database/Client-server application! GM was and is simply the easiest and most consistent scripting engine in terms of embedding, language supporta and performance.

In the application, it's used to customise behaviours like business rules which can get quite complex as a lot of rules are dependent on many variables and conditions. It saves a lot of internal code design and recompilations during testing. It gives an opportuniy to test code/logic out without rebuilding the app. If performance ever becomes an issue, we can always convert to real C++ and incorporate into the app (probably rare)...

Some scripts are database fetched and used purely for internal purposes to the app. Others are loaded from local text file and allow users (who are savvy) to customize themselves (hasn't happened yet).

I tried simpkin, lua and many others and they were all too large/complex/useless or had too many restrictions (in terms of language) etc.

see http://www.wramp.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 pm 

I'm using it to allow all behavior in game to be programmed outside of C++. I'm trying to make my game engine very artist-centric, and have a script API which is very logical and simple to understand. And also not need to worry about whats happening on a frame by frame basis - just say move, it'll return when the objects moved to the destination, and continue quite happily. Much like Doom 3 script. No project in particular, although a friend of mine who is an artist is using it to make a game over the next few months, hopefully with minimal help from myself on the programming side.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 am 

I work for an online company that offers gaming rewards to PC gamers. Around 8 months ago I started searching for a C/C++ scripting engine in order to smoke-test our client/server transactions and associated clasess. After integrating GM very quickly, I decided to bind other core components, such as the MySQL client library. One problem I had was how to write code to stress-test the web-service since I foolishly assumed that threading described in the scripting meant OS-threads. :( The obvious solution was to create new OS-threads, each with their own engine copy (a few bugs still remain, but I haven't yet had time to sort these out).

I recently starting writing a customized Counter-Strike:Source server plugin and was contemplating integrating GM. However SourceMod was publically released shortly afterwards, so that GM development opportunities were dropped. Having just read the benchmark article, I would be interested to know how GM and SourceMod compare.

http://www.gmscript.com/gamemonkey/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=305

So, I now happily admit that our Windows testing code is reliant on GM. I have thought about other solutions (e.g. Python), but having all the GM source code at my disposal which can easily be compiled into a library means I'm reluctant to head elsewhere without good reason.

A big thanks to the GM team and other contributors.

http://www.jact.com
Play with Purpose... Get JACT!