GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 am 

Yeah I'll agree. I integrated Python into the work engine and was required to implement unloading support - however, it will only unload modules that were loaded from an archive - that is ones that aren't put into the global table. Basically a script which defines the current world will be unloadable, as no other module should really be touching it anyway, it's not directly importable. Script code which is used to control behavoir is always loaded, so unloading is not a worry for it.

Regarding the changes I've made, you want me to just zip it all up and email it over? Give you a chance to look it over? I'm also currently putting support in to directly load modules too, where it adds a global _MODULES table, and will call a user callback which is responsible for loading in the module, hopefully I'll have that done in a few evenings time.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:46 am 

I've been having to resist putting in namespaces/modules into my C# reimplementation of the GM machine. It makes a lot of sense to have stuff like this in.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:09 pm 

Sure you can zip it up and send it.

Richy2k, check out the latest revision of gm_ex and see if my version of module stuff is what you were thinking. I added a "import" in gmMachineLib.cpp that basically does what I've outlined, and has a function pointer callback so the user can provide the actual file loading functionality. Quick and dirty but it works.

downgraded, what benefit are you thinking namespaces would provide out of curiousity? I always figured that given the behavior of tables, they effectively acted as name spaces anyways, so there wasn't much use for them outside grouping related functions/variables in languages like lua, GM, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 pm 

Looks good to me :-) I'll zip up what I've done and send it over. It's still WIP, but I've done the annoying lengthy part of the allocations, except for the GM_DELETE_ARRAY bit - 0 is the length substituted in for now until I figure out a clean way to do it - as it just calls delete[] at the moment underneath. I've fired it to your hotmail address.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:54 pm 

I just used VC's preprocessor cl.exe.

Then I compiled the resultant .i files into .gmlibs.

works great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:08 pm 

I think a MSVC style of #include could produce a lot of redundant code if used in a scripting languages, which I think is why the module and import concepts work the way that they do in scripting languages like lua

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 pm 

Maybe you are right. I'm not sure. I just needed something quick and dirty.