GameMonkey Script

GameMonkey Script Forums
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: thread priorities
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 am 

Hi there, is there any support for running threads in a particular order?
I need some threads to run before others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 am 

No such feature exists. The current work around would be to insert Sleep or Block thread functions into your script.

I don't see why you could not add this feature by modifying gmMachine::Execute, storing a priority value in gmThread. You'd also bind a function to set priority on a thread. I must admit, it would be nice to detach threads from the gmMachine and execute them manually and individually. I would never recommend modifying gmThread::Sys_Execute() to do instruction based scheduling. That would change threads from coop routines into preempted style threads introducing all the pain of OS threads. I'd only modify the 'user break callback' section to terminate endless loop threads based on some metric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 am 

Yup, I am going to go ahead and add this then - I was just double-checking in case there was an inherent system already implemented. I don't want pre-emptive threading tho, just the ability to have a running order, or maybe even call, say, all threads of a priority lower than 128 before "drawing", and the rest afterwards. I might simply implement it as a grouping of threads, so you can have "pre-draw" threads and "post-draw" threads and "during-draw" threads etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm 

ok, I've made the modifications to do priority based threading without any speed impediment: It makes gmMachine a little larger but seeing as there is only one of those it's not much of an overhead.

If I post the diffs could you take a look Greg, I think it's worth including in the main version as there is no speed or size change (apart from gmMachine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:14 am 

Here is a zip of the patch file,

The priorities are implemented simply by changing m_runningThreads to a 256 entry array of DoubleLists, one entry per priority. Then it was a simple process of going through the 5 or 6 accesses of m_runningThreads and making them loop over all priorities where necessary - or using the thread's priority to insert thread's into the correct m_runningThreads.

I added one byte to gmThread, which, because the last member was a short anyway doesn't affect the size of gmThread as on most machines it is rounded to 4 bytes or more. (and a GetPriority and a Sys_SetPriority "internal" function)

I also added default parameters to Execute() that by default will simply execute all the threads in priority order, but if you like you can specify a range of priorities for it to execute.

Attachments:
threadpri.zip [3.58 KiB]
Downloaded 406 times
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:35 am 

I forgot to mention, from gamemonkey a thread's priority is set like this: - setThreadPriority( [thread_id] ), it will return you the old priority and set the priority of the current thread if no args are given. getThreadPriority( [thread_id] ) will also give you the current thread's priority or the priority of the thread specified.

If you change your current thread's priority multiple times in a positive direction you can get your thread to run multiple times in a frame, and if you decrease the priority the thread will run the next frame.

Patching this requires no changes to existing code, and incurs no speed difference. Memory-wise there are 255 more nodes created for the array of DoubleLink lists, but unless you create hundreds of gmMachines (not a good idea anyway) that won't affect you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:13 am 

Thanks for sharing that HiVision. I see you have gone with thread grouping and manual execution order. 255 slots seems quite a range to trawl through each frame, though likely insignificant for modern machines. I'd be interested to see alternative scheduling methods that don't require time consuming sort operations, but still throttle execution effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 pm 

It's not so much a grouping of threads as a hashing of the priorities, but it can be treated as grouping too (hence the modification to the Execute command).

The no. of slots and default thread priority could be set or overridden in the Config file for smaller less powerful machines. In reality a smaller no. is perfectly alright. Even a no. as small as 10 would be extremely handy.